Thursday, April 24, 2014

Spring Blue Eyed Mary

Spring Blue Eyed Mary
Collinsia verna
Blue-eyed Mary is an uncommon plant of Indiana woodlands, but when it blooms in the early part of May, it's spectacular!  One plant in and of itself is nice to look at, with it's bicolored flowers, but the real show is when it literally blankets the ground with thousands of flowers, changing it from drab brown to bright blue.

I only know of one place where it's found, an Acres Land Trust preserve called Dygert's Woods.  I'm sure that it's found a lot of other places, just none that I'm aware of.


The blue lower petals and white upper petals make this flower easy to identify.
This plant carpets the forest floor at Dygert Woods

2 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    You should see the forest floor in early May when the ground is covered with them! I've tried to capture that in a photo, but can't ever seem to get it right. I'll try again this year.

    ReplyDelete