Thursday, August 21, 2014

Common Cowparsnip

Common Cowparsnip
Heracleum maximum
I don't have a lot of experience with Common Cowparsnip, having only seen it in one place in Allen County, Indiana.  I can say that it is a very large plant, as tall as I am, and it was found in a nice woodland.

It is native to Indiana.  It is claimed that the Native Americans would dry the stem and use them for straws and make them into flutes.  It must have a very hard stem like Evening Primrose.  They also ate parts of it, and used it for medicinal purposes.

It's not a very common plant, found only in the northern part of the state.

If I find a good stand of it, I'll try making a straw or a flute and let you know how it goes.



Typical umbel flowerhead of the Apiaceae (Carrot) family

No comments:

Post a Comment