Thursday, September 25, 2014

Flower Of An Hour

Flower Of An Hour
Hibiscus trionum

So I go to my favorite research site, Wikipedia, and find that Flower Of An Hour is native to the Levant. In all of my geographical days, I don't ever recall hearing about anywhere called "Levant", so I continued on my Wikipedia journey to the Levant and find out that it refers to the eastern Mediterranean region consisting of Cyprus, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, and southern Turkey. Wow, I am learning so much! The term Levant is used mostly by archaeologists and historians. This may be the first time in modern history that it was used to describe a botanical region.

It is said that the flowers open only for one hour at a time. I've never timed one myself, but I plan to someday, when I'm not too busy.


The plant can look a bit weedy
The cute pods are quite distinctive

No comments:

Post a Comment