Sunday, September 14, 2014

European Cranberrybush

European Cranberrybush
Viburnum opulus


Ever since we were little kids it's been pushed into our heads to plant Highbush Cranberry for the wildlife. People walked around chanting this ever since I can remember.  So, when I started taking pictures and identifying plants, I came to find out that it's not that simple; nothing ever is with botany.

It seems that there is a European version of this plant that is quite similar to the American version, Viburnum trilobum. They are so closely related that the taxonomists get into nasty name-calling arguments about whether they should be different species or different subspecies.

The main difference is the flavor of the berries.  It seems the American version is quite tasty while, and I can vouch for this, the European version is not. For scientific purposes I tried eating a berry from the European version and it was so bad that I had to spit it out, and had to keep spitting for a while because the flavor stayed in my mouth. I'm anxious to try the American version.

The visible difference is on the stem of the leaf. Right near the leaf itself are two glandular appendages.  In the European version, they're short and concave while in the American version they stick out a bit and are more convex.  No one knows what these things are for, other than to confuse botanists.

I have never seen the American version in Indiana.  I suspect that it's a more northerly tree and everyone's been planting the European version around here, which probably isn't as appealing to the wildlife.


The berries look delicious, but are rather bitter

Note the two little appendages at the base of the leaf
Typical Viburnum looking leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment