Thursday, June 19, 2014

Wild Bergamot

Wild Bergamot
Monarda fistulosa
Wild Bergamot is native the North America and the Native Americans put it do good use.  Now, I wasn't around to verify any of this, so I'll just repeat what I've read here and there.
  • Cooked with meat
  • Brewed into tea
  • Relieve headache
  • Cure colds
  • Baby bath
  • Indigestion
  • Remove acne
  • Poultice
  • Treat gingivitis
  • Relieve gas problems (farting)
... and much more.  It was used extensively by tribes all across America.


The flowers are said to be quite tasty and a nice addition to a summer fruit salad
 

3 comments:

  1. Is it also known as bee balm? Earl Gray tea? Brings to mind a line from somewhere in classic poetry: "Who knows where the wild bergamot grows?" What poem? What poet? My search didn't turn it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it. Not a poem but an essay I had in my files. So this means you are a revolutionary!

    "Life has become so mechanized, life is so lacking in flavor, that anything learned about anything rescues people from the boredom of civil obedience. In a technological age the man who knows where the bergamot grows in some brushy back field or knows when and where to look for Pleiades is a revolutionary. He has published his declaration of independence."

    --Brooks Atkinson, from his essay "The Bird Habit"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb,

    I guess I am, if Brooks is to be believed. You must have a good memory if you remember every sentence of every essay you've read! It is a great quote.

    ReplyDelete