Sunday, January 19, 2014

Mapleleaf Viburnum

Mapleleaf Viburnum
Viburnum acerifolium
This woodland shrub is another surprisingly edible plant.  The dried up berries are said to be tasty to chew on.  I've never seen so many that they would fill you up, but might make a little snack.

The last paragraph was based on what I read on the internet.  So, I went out to find some and try them.  They are definitely not tasty!  They didn't kill me, but I see no reason to go out and eat any more.  I suppose if I were lost in the woods and dying of starvation I'd eat some.  Or maybe put them in a trap to try to catch something tastier.

The black berries tend to stick up out of the foliage
Opposite branching, same as maple trees
Young berries. Maybe they're better tasting than the ripe ones.

This is why it's called "Mapleleaf" Viburnum

No comments:

Post a Comment