Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Green Dragon


Green Dragon
Arisaema dracontium
I'll have to admit that I'm partial to plants with cool names.  This is a rather unusual plant that is in the same genus as the Jack in the Pulpit.  I've got it growing in my woods and I've only seen it one other place.  My woods is a wooded peatland.  It was a low spot scoured out by a glacier and then filled in with decayed plant material until it was full enough for trees to take hold.  It has quite black soil.  One time I went out there with a shovel to look for mastadons.  I didn't find any, but did find very old logs buried several feet deep.  It's still a low spot and can get quite wet.

The spiral of Green Dragon leaves is distinctive

The whole Green Dragon plant

The fruits aren't always nice perfect heads of fruits that you see in pictures on the internet. Sometimes they're a little ratty looking.
Here's a better one
 

1 comment:

  1. Too bad no mastodons! :) I love the little bluestem pics.

    ReplyDelete