Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Canadian Honewort

Canadian Honewort
Cryptotaenia Canadensis
Canadian Honewort is also known as Wild Chervil, presumably in reference to the fact that it is edible and must taste like Chervil (Anthriscus cerefolium).  On the other hand, there are a couple of other plants referred to as Wild Chervil (Anthriscus sylvestris and Chaerophyllum procumbens), so who knows.

I'm not sure I've ever eaten Chervil so I can't verify that.  The write-ups I've seen about it say that the whole plant is edible, from roots to flowers.  It needs to be soaked or boiled first because of its strong flavor ... it would be too overwhelming.  Maybe I'll try it this summer.

The leaves are deeply lobed and the side leaflets are not symmetrical
The tiny little flowers have five petals

No comments:

Post a Comment