Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Stiff Goldenrod

Stiff Goldenrod
Oligoneuron rigidum
I have a couple of acres of restored prairie in front of our house and this is one of the plants that was planted there. I didn't realize what it was for years, and then this year I studied it very closely because I needed plants for this blog. I still couldn't figure out what it was until I was paging through "The Sunflower Family in the Upper Midwest" and there it was, a Goldenrod! I have been learning that not all Goldenrods look like Goldenrods. In fact they put this one in a different genus, Oligoneuron, but they still kept the name Goldenrod.

This plant is quite unique looking, even before it flowers. The foliage is light green and velvety with a look and feel like Velvetleaf. The lower leaves are on long stems while the upper leaves clasp the stem. It is one of the more luxurious, perhaps the most luxurious Goldenrod and a nice addition to our prairie.





No comments:

Post a Comment